Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Sheds?

This is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time...

http://menssheds.ie/2010/10/16/welcome-to-the-irish-mens-sheds-associations-website/

Apparently this is A Thing...There was just a report on BBC America about it, and of course it caught my eye because one of the Irish Men's Sheds has spinning and weaving and restoring old fiber arts tools as their communal project.  I love the idea of men coming together to do something interesting and creative, if it's woodworking or singing as a choir or whatever they'd all like to do.

Of course, the BBC report was all "Ha ha, men together, I bet they're sharing FEELINGS or something stupid like that, ha ha", which was kind of annoying.  I bet they do.  And that is wonderful.

*insert rant about societal expectations regarding men's behavior, problems with established cultural norms, the idea of masculinity, etc etc etc*  ;)

Apparently the idea started in Australia and has spread throughout Ireland and the UK...I wish there were some more in the US--from a brief Googling, it doesn't look like there are too many.

But I love the idea of people coming together and being creative and bonding and all that happy shit.  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment