Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My New Boyfriend

I'd been lusting after The Alden Amos Big Book of Handspinning for a long, looooong time, and finally decided to treat myself for Giftmas...I wish I'd done it sooner, because this book is AWESOME.

Now, I am only about a quarter of the way through this large volume right now, but I can safely say I have already learnt a bunch of stuff I never knew even existed regarding spinning...One of my handspun entries in a fiber fair competition last summer was critiqued in relation to 'grist', which just made me think 'Huh?'  But good ol' Alden explains these things so clearly and concisely.

Some sections get a little too mathematical/scientific, which just makes my eyes glaze over, but having this on hand as a reference will be invaluable...There are lots of diagrams and illustrations to clarify various techniques, easy-to-understand explanations, and it all makes me think that maybe I really COULD buy a raw fleece and do my own little sheep-to-shawl all by myself!  (Please, somebody talk me out of this before the fiber festivals start this spring!!)  :D

2 comments:

  1. I'mma just gonna call you Agnes from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this book, I spun 465,789 yards of singles from .000125 ounces of roving.

    ReplyDelete